Tooth Extraction Can Preserve and Enhance Your Oral Health
Tampa Oral Surgeon, Dr. Renato Aves, can provide tooth extraction at our Tampa or Lakeland, FL oral surgery practice to protect your general wellbeing if a tooth is severely damaged or other treatments have been unsuccessful. He will use his experience and expertise to keep you as comfortable and satisfied as possible during and after this procedure. Contact the Tampa Bay Institute of Oral Surgery and Dental Implants to find out more about tooth extractions or schedule a consultation with Dr. Aves.
When Do You Need a Tooth Extraction
Ideally, you would keep your full set of adult throughout your entire life, maintaining a complete smile. Unfortunately, however, there are many reasons you might need a tooth extracted. In these cases, removing one or more teeth can help you preserve and improve your overall oral health. You may be a candidate for extraction if:
- Your tooth is severely decayed, such that alternative treatments like a filling, inlay, onlay, or crown would not be sufficient to repair it.
- You have an infected pulp that is not responding to root canal therapy.
- Traumatic injury has fractured or broken the tooth.
- Your mouth is not large enough to accommodate all of your teeth, causing orthodontic issues such as crowding and malocclusion (improper bite).
- You have additional teeth that prevent proper natural tooth eruption.
- You are missing many teeth and need to make space for a denture.
- You do not like the appearance of one of your teeth and other cosmetic treatments cannot correct the issue.
Dr. Aves will help you determine if you are eligible for an extraction at your initial consultation.
Simple Tooth Extraction
If the affected tooth has erupted properly and the majority of the tooth structure sits above the gums, Dr. Aves can perform a simple extraction. During this procedure, he will use forceps to move the tooth, disconnecting it from surrounding tissue. Once it has been sufficiently loosened, Dr. Aves will lift the tooth from the gums to complete the procedure. Depending on your particular circumstances, simple tooth extraction may require just local anesthesia to numb the tissue in the treatment area. However, we can also provide sedation to keep you relaxed and comfortable during this process.
Surgical Tooth Extraction
More complex cases require surgical tooth extraction. Using this technique, Dr. Aves will make an incision into the gums to access and remove the damaged or unwanted tooth. Surgical extraction may be appropriate for you if:
- Your tooth must be broken into pieces to be extracted.
- The affected tooth has not erupted or is impacted (growing in at an abnormal angle), as is often the case with wisdom teeth.
- Dr. Aves would not be able to grip enough of the tooth with forceps to remove it. This is often the case for patients who have broken a tooth at the gum line.
Surgical extractions may require just local anesthesia, but we often recommend utilizing sedation for these more involved procedures.
Learn If You Could Benefit From Tooth Extraction
Our first priority is helping patients keep as many of their teeth as possible. If a diseased, damaged, or otherwise undesirable tooth is interfering with your smile, Dr. Aves can help safely and successfully extract it. To learn more about this procedure or schedule a consultation, contact our Tampa or Lakeland, FL oral surgery practice today.