Alveoloplasty for a Healthier, More Comfortable Jaw
Tampa Oral Surgeon, Dr. Renato Aves, can perform alveoloplasty surgery at our convenient Tampa and Lakeland, FL offices to smooth and shape your jawbone where teeth have been lost or removed. If you suffer from these issues, At the Tampa Bay Institute of Oral Surgery and Dental Implants, we are committed to helping patients with missing teeth enjoy beautiful, comfortable, healthy smiles utilizing advanced surgical techniques. To learn more about alveoloplasty or find out if this treatment may be right for you, contact our oral surgery practice today to schedule a consultation.
Why is Alveoloplasty Performed?
When a tooth is lost or extracted, it leaves a small opening in the alveolar jawbone where its root once was. Unfortunately, these gaps do not always heal properly, making the alveolar bone uneven or leaving behind sharp ridges. These malformations can cause gum tissue soreness, increase your risk for periodontal disease, and interfere with the fit of restorations such as dentures.
Who is a Candidate?
Many patients can benefit from this procedure. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if you:
- Have had a previous lost tooth or extraction and are experiencing one or more of the follwing:
- Discomfort along your gum line
- A sharp or prickling sensation when you bite down or exert any pressure on your restoration or gum tissue
- A poor or changing fit for your restoration (bridge, denture, or crown)
- Suffer from severe decay, gum disease, fracture, or other dental damage that requires your tooth to be removed. Dr. Aves often performs alveoloplasty at the same time as extraction.
Dr. Aves will examine your mouth, review your medical records, and discuss your concerns with you to determine if you qualify for alveoloplasty.
To perform alveoloplasty surgery, Dr. Aves will begin by making an incision into your gum tissue over the missing tooth. Next, he will use a high-speed hand piece, Piezosurgery® tools, or other instruments to modify your bone tissue, giving it a smooth, healthy curvature. Once he is satisfied with your improved alveolar bone structure, Dr. Aves will suture your gums to close the incision and complete the process. Dr. Aves typically performs this procedure using local anesthetic paired with sedation, according to your needs and preferences.
Benefits of Alveoloplasty
Alveoloplasty surgery can help you in numerous ways. The benefits of this procedure include:
- A shorter recovery period after an extraction (suturing the gums means that you do not have to wait for a blood clot to form in the treatment area). Patients typically heal fully within two weeks.
- More comfortable, snug restorations that provide a natural appearance and excellent function. Alveoloplasty also prevents gum irritation or sores that may form as a result of ill-fitting restorations.
- Improved oral health and hygiene.
At your initial consultation, Dr. Aves will evaluate your particular case and explain how alveoloplasty may help you.
Reshape Your Jawbone with Alveoloplasty
Dr. Aves can improve the contours of your alveolar bone to make chewing, speaking, smiling, and wearing restorations easier. Contact the Tampa Bay Institute of oral Surgery and Dental Implants today to discover more about alveoloplasty or schedule a consultation with Dr. Aves.