Mini Dental Implants Are a Successful, Minimally Invasive Restorative Solution
Tampa Implant Dentist, Dr. Renato Aves, can provide mini dental implants at our Tampa, FL oral surgery practice. Dr. Aves offers a no charge initial dental implant consultation so you can learn in dental implant treatment is right for you and which type of treatment would be best for your circumstances. To learn more about minimally invasive dental implant treatment with mini implants, contact us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Aves.
What Are Mini Dental Implants?
As their name suggests, mini dental implants are much smaller than typical dental implants. Traditional implants are usually between 4 and 6 millimeters in diameter, while mini implants are just 2 to 3 millimeters. Despite their size, mini dental implants function very similarly to full-size implants. They are made of biocompatible titanium that fuses with the jawbone tissue when inserted. Mini dental implants are specially designed to stably hold restorations without requiring complex surgery.
Who is a Candidate?
The eligibility requirements for mini dental implants are less strict than those for traditional implants because they are so much simpler to place. You may be a good candidate for mini dental implants if you:
- Are missing one or more teeth, or require one or more extractions.
- Currently have a traditional denture that you would like to retrofit as an implant-supported prosthesis.
- Do not grind your teeth. Bruxism can wear down your implant-supported restorations and interfere with the success of your treatment.
- Are free from periodontal (gum) disease. Dr. Aves can help you treat this condition before performing implant procedures.
- Want an efficient, same-day solution to gaps in your smile.
- Do not have enough jawbone material to hold and fuse with traditional implants (and do not want to or cannot undergo bone grafting procedures to remedy this condition).
- Are in good general health, meaning that you are able to safely undergo anesthesia and surgery.
At your initial consultation, Dr. Aves will evaluate your mouth, go over your dental records, and discuss your concerns with you to help you decide if mini implants are an appropriate treatment for you.
The surgery to place mini dental implants is very similar to the traditional procedure. If you opt for this treatment, Dr. Aves will begin by numbing your tissue with local anesthesia and providing sedation as necessary. Since mini dental implants are so tiny, Dr. Aves often does not have to incise the gums to place them. Most likely, he will simply insert your implant or set of implants through the gum tissue into the bone. This shortens your healing time and reduces your risk for infection or other complications. After he places your implant or implants, Dr. Aves will immediately attach your prosthesis, which could be a brand new custom-made restoration or a modified version of your existing denture, depending on your needs and preferences. Rather than using traditional abutments, retrofitted dentures usually just snap on to your implants. In any case, Dr. Aves should be able to complete the entire implant process in just one appointment so you can show off your new smile immediately.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants provide many advantages over traditional implants. Many patients appreciate this treatment because:
- Mini dental implants can be restored in a single visit
- It can help patients with insufficient bone tissue enjoy the benefits of implants
- The procedure is minimally invasive
- It typically does not require the creation of a new denture
- It is more affordable than the standard dental implant process
Dr. Aves can further detail the benefits of mini dental implants for your particular circumstances at your initial consultation.
Discover How Mini Dental Implants Could Benefit You
To learn more about mini dental implants and if it is right for you, contact the Tampa Bay Institute of Oral Surgery and Dental Implants today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Aves.